Vegan style 'fried chicken' using Oyster mushrooms
- 200 g plain all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 300 g oyster mushrooms.
- 200 ml plant based milk
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Oil to fry
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all the spice mix ingredients in a mixing bowl, mix well.
- Place 80g of the spice mixture into the other bowl, add 200 ml of plant based milk and 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast, whisk gently until you get a smooth batter.
- You should have a plate of oyster mushrooms, a liquid and a dry mixture like the picture.
- Dip each piece of mushroom into the liquid mixture, let it soak for a few seconds and absorb the batter. Then roll it into the dry mixture until completely coated. Repeat the same process for each piece, place them onto a tray/plate to let the coating sit for a few minutes.
- Heat up the oil in a small non-stick saucepan and carefully add the mushroom piece-by-piece into the oil (depending on how big your saucepan is, try to not overcrowd too many pieces in at once), deep fry until it is a beautiful golden colour all around and floating on the oil.
- Place the deep-fried mushrooms on a tray with oil-absorbing cooking paper or kitchen towel and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with freshly squeezed lime juice and your preferred flavour sauce (sweet chilli sauce, curry sauce or sweet & sour sauce… etc).